Sugar & Butter (to coat spring form pan)
1 1/4 sticks butter
½ Cup Sugar (divided ¼ cups)
8 oz. Semisweet Chocolate
4 oz. Milk Chocolate
1 Tsp. Vanilla
4 Large Eggs Separated
¼ Tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Butter spring form pan with 2 ½” sides and coat with sugar and tap out.
- Melt 10 Tbs. of butter with ¼ cup of sugar in saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Then add both chocolates and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide eggs whites into a bowl and yolks into another. Using electric mixer beat egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually add ¼ cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until soft peaks form.
- Next whisk yolks until thick and pale yellow about 4 minutes. Whisk in warm chocolate mixture with egg yolks.
- Whisk 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until top forms crust but center of cake remains moist & moves when pan is shaken about 15 minutes. Cake will appear under-cooked. Let stand in pan overnight. Cake will fall as it cooks.
- Run small knife around cake pan side to loosen. Release pan sides from cake. Sift powdered sugar over to top, cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
This recipe came from the old Gourmet magazine. According to The NY Times the magazine ceased publication in 2009. So this recipe is old and The Boss has been making this chocolate wonder for years. Expect compliments because it’s that good.