“Send pictures of the Tiny Human.”
“Only if you send me your Citrus Gazpacho recipe.”
The exchange was made and Frenchy’s recipe follows:
For 6 Cups
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 TBLS white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups orange juice
- zest and fruit of 1 orange-remove the peel and pith
- zest and fruit of 1 pink grapefruit-remove the peel and pith
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper to your taste
Instead of using fresh tomatoes which you must boil for 20 seconds, then dunk in ice water to stop the cooking, cool, peel, then dice-you can use a can of diced tomatoes.
Use an immersion blender or container blender to mix the tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, orange and grapefruit zest. Puree. Pour over the cucumbers, peppers, onion, orange and grapefruit, olive oil and seasonings.
This is best when it has been refrigerated overnight. Top with fresh cut basil before serving. A few pomegranate seeds in each serving for color.
Beautiful in martini or cocktail glasses as a starter.
Historical Note for Family and Friends
Frenchy is a real person and our friendship predates my marriage to The Boss. When the Doctor and the Architect were tiny humans themselves we would have wonderful meals at Frenchy’s. I’m positive I’ve had this gazpacho but at my age I can’t remember when. Enjoy!