Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
1 stick butter
1/2 C light brown sugar
1 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large ripe bananas smashed
1/4 C sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl cream butter and sugar. Add egg and beat some more.
- Add smashed bananas. Stir to mix.
- Add flours. Sprinkle baking soda and salt evenly. Stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not over-mix.
- Place baking cup papers into a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Fill each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes.
I’m at the point in life where I buy just 2-3 bananas at a time. Since bananas conspire to all ripen simultaneously buying a small number of fruit also cuts down on the amount of muffins in the freezer.
The Boss ate the last one from the freezer this week. So I had to make more.
Since recipes gradually change over time today was a good day to update my World Famous Whole Wheat Banana Muffin recipe. As always I’ve left the original intact for all you purists out there. The changes are subtle but they do make a difference.
Butter not margarine and sour cream instead of buttermilk or yogurt. Two eggs instead of one. I find these little changes make a softer, fluffier muffin.
And for non-family member readers this recipe is not Daughter-in-Law Approved (yet).