- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 8 tablespoons margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs. Add butter, margarine, and milk.
- Add wet to dry and mix until smooth.
- Pour into an 8 x 12 greased baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top and/or the sides are brown.
Adapted from a recipe in Delicioso! a cookbook from the Corpus Christi Junior League original copyright date December 1982. The only change I’ve made over the years was to substitute light brown sugar for white sugar. This is the family’s go to corn bread recipe.
2 Replies to “Texas Corn Bread”