A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used to make Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw – Bon Appétit. Tonight was a good night to have black bean tacos so I pulled up my original post from nearly eight years ago Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw – (NOT) Bon Appétit
No surprises this time. I make these tacos differently now. Time for another revision.
- 1 15-ounce can organic low sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (maybe more)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium size lime juiced
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- pinch oregano, dash celery salt (trust me on this one)
- 1 14 ounce bag cabbage slaw mix
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- onion and garlic powders, a dash apiece
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1.5 limes
- 2-3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 T honey
- 4 white or yellow corn tortilla shells, crispy
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (cheddar is OK too)
- Your favorite hot sauce or salsa
- Drain and rinse the black beans, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion on medium flame until soft and slightly browned. Add oregano, cumin, and garlic. Saute until the spices are fragrant, about a minute or two.
- Add the well drained black beans. Add juice of half a lime. Heat until warmed through. Mash the beans with a spoon but leave some beans whole and chunky. Season with celery salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil and juice of 1.5 limes. Mix in honey. Add olive oil to create a smooth dressing. Season to taste with onion/garlic powders, salt and pepper.
- Add the cabbage slaw mix. Mix well, adjust for seasoning, and set aside.
This recipe will make enough for 4-6 tacos. If you need more servings, double the bean recipe and buy more taco shells. You will not need to double the cabbage slaw portion. You’ll have plenty.
Construct your tacos.
We recently discovered La Tiara authentic Mexican taco shells from Gladstone Missouri. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as you until I tried these shells. Use bagged sliced slaw for pure convenience. Fresh cabbage? Only if you have the time and eschew convenience. Fresh avocado would be nice. Beer is also a perfect side dish for these tacos.
Veganistas – use vegan cheese.