Baked Penne with Two Sauces
In the North End of Boston there is a marvelous Italian restuarant named Giacomo’s. The place is small and cramped, service is brusque. The food is exquisite which certainly explains this eatery’s well deserved reputation. My first encounter was many years ago when my brother and I stopped in for dinner. I ordered Seafood Linguine and the waiter asked
“Red, white, or pink?”
“I know what red is and I know what white is. What’s pink?”
“Red and white together.”
Imagine a pasta dish with the consistency of a good macaroni and cheese plus a rich hearty ragu. I bought back my memories and created a baked pasta with two sauces.
Turkey Ragu (about a quart, more if you like your pasta moist)
Parmesan sauce (see recipe below)
One pound box of penne (rigatoni works well also, or use your favorite pasta shape)
Grated parmesan cheese
Shredded mozzarella cheese, about two cups
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring several quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Cook pasta until barely al dente. The pasta should still be firm to the touch and will cook through during the baking process while absorbing the sauces. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking prepare the parmesan sauce. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook briefly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly to remove all lumps. Add parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. When the sauce begins bubbling at the edges and thickens, turn off heat and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Take a baking pan large enough for the pasta and grease the pan with extra virgin olive oil.
5. Place partially cooked pasta in the pan, add parmesan sauce, and mix well.
6. Cover pasta mixture with ragu, mixing gently. If your family likes pasta moist, use more ragu.
7. Sprinkle grated parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheeses on top.
8. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes. If your family likes pasta a little drier, remove the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
9. Serve with a nice fresh green vegetable, salad, and bread.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
355 Hanover St