via Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw – Bon Appétit.
There are a bunch of clipped recipes in the cookbook holder by the stove. This Bon Appétit recipe has been there since 2009, February 2009 to be exact. We love this recipe for a quick and healthy meatless meal. Earlier today I glanced at the recipe to make sure all ingredients were on hand because you always have at least one ingredient missing. I just don’t want the missing ingredient to be missing after I start cooking.
Wait a minute! This isn’t how I make this dish! OK, full stop. No more writing. I will make my tacos tonight and then write the recipe down.
6:41 PM CST update
I’ve left the link to the original recipe. I was right. I make this dish differently than I did five years ago. So here we go. I also made some fresh guacamole and to be perfectly honest, the flavors are intense, the textures varied, and it…is…HEALTHY.
1 15-ounce can organic black beans, drained, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (maybe more)
3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons canola oil
1 whole lime juiced, 1/4 lemon juiced
1/4 cup diced red onion, 1 clove garlic minced
pinch oregano, dash celery salt (trust me on this one)
2 cups organic green cabbage, thinly sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 white or yellow corn tortilla shells, crispy
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Your favorite hot sauce or salsa
- Drain and rinse the black beans, set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add oregano, cumin, and garlic. Saute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the well drained black beans. Add lemon juice. Heat until warmed through. Mash the beans with a spoon but leave it chunky. Season with celery salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil and juice of one lime. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a dash of sugar to cut the acidity if needed.
- Add the green onions, cilantro, and cabbage. Mix well and set aside.
This recipe will make enough for 4-6 tacos. If you need more servings, double the bean recipe and buy more taco shells. You will not need to double the cabbage slaw portion. You’ll have plenty.
Construct your tacos. Place some beans in the taco shell, followed by salsa, feta cheese, and slaw. If you are using guacamole, put in on your taco last.
We recently discovered La Tiara authentic Mexican taco shells from Gladstone Missouri. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as you until I tried these shells. Use fresh cabbage and not the bagged sliced slaw next to the bagged salads. In a pinch, go ahead and use the bagged stuff. But once you use fresh cabbage, you won’t go back to the bag version. This taco recipe is perfect for a Meatless Monday. May I suggest oven roasted sweet potatoes and corn for sides?